The Imperial Russian Navy suffered huge losses as a result of the Russo-Japanese War. With a few exceptions Russia’s Pacific Fleet was destroyed at Port Arthur in December 1904 and Russia’s Baltic Fleet was largely destroyed at Tsushima in May 1905. After the war had ended, the Russian Admiralty faced the huge task of reconstituting it’s Pacific forces, this time at Vladivostok. One hears of the tremendous losses in battleships and cruisers but Russia’s destroyer forces had been thinned as well. Most new Pacific additions would be required to steam half way around the world. However, with destroyers, there was another solution.
In 1904-1905 five ships of the new Tverdi Class were laid down at Nevski and Crichton, Okhta. They were designed following the pattern of the earlier 26 ship Puilki Class of 1896-1900. Nine of this earlier class, the Nevski built "S" boats (as all of their names started with that letter), were shipped along the Trans-Siberian railroad in sections to Port Arthur, where they were assembled in 1902-1903. Four of these nine were lost at Port Arthur. The Tverdi Class were also built in sections in European Russian yards and shipped along the Trans-Siberian railroad but this time to Vladivostok, where they were assembled in 1906 and 1908. To facilitate their transportation in sections, the class were of 240 tons displacement and 190 feet in length, which was lighter than the standard Russian destroyer then currently being built in the 330-350 tons range. The Tverdi Class had the same gun armament of the Puilki Class, one 75mm (11-pdr) and three 47mm (3-pdr) but the Tverdi destroyers had a more powerful torpedo armament of two 18-inch single tubes versus the two 15-inch tubes of the earlier class.
The five members of the class spent their service careers in the far east. Three of the number, Trevozhni, Leitenant Malyeev and Ing Mech Anastasov were scrapped in 1922 and 1923. However, Tverdi and Tochnyi were renamed and continued to serve in the new Soviet Navy. Tverdi as the Lazo and Tochnyi as the Potapenko. They were both apparently scrapped around 1931. (Bulk of history from Conway’s All the World’s Fighting Ships 1960-1905)
The Russian Company of Combrig has now released a 1:700 waterline model of the Tochnyi, which along with Tverdi served Russia for a quarter of a century, along the Russian Pacific coast, under the flags of Imperial Russia, the Kerensky government and the Soviet Union.