I usually prefer
waterline ships, which meant I had to cut the hull on my Dunkerque
kit. I accomplished this by using Dymo labeling tape as a guide for my scriber
to start with and then finishing the cut with a hand saw. I used .040 Evergreen
sheet stock for a waterline plate.
The fit was pretty good considering the age of the kit, but the details are a
bit thick, especially by today's standards. Since there is no dedicated
photo-etch set for this kit, I used Gold Medal Model's generic
naval set for the railings and various other small parts. Bits and pieces from
my PE spares box was also used here and there.
floatplane and catapult that came with the kit was way too clunky and had to
go, so it was replaced with L'Aresenal's fine 1/400 Catapult cuirasses
Francais set. This is actually a small kit itself consisting of two PE
catapults and two resin
floatplanes with PE struts and rudders. It goes together nicely as
well. Thanks to Tony Bunch and Jacques Druel for tracking down the set and
getting it to me.
Additional stanchion supports were made from Evergreen rod. Rigging was
done with stretched sprue and the water was made from Golden heavy gel medium.
The model was lightly weathered overall with MiG pigments. Brass barrel
replacements for both main and secondary guns were made special order by
Burkhardt from Modelmarine.de. Thanks to Burkhardt for doing such a beautiful
job on them.
My close friend and
fellow modeler Bob Zoglio gave this kit to me a few years ago. Tragically, Bob
was killed in November 2008 when the plane he was piloting lost power and
crashed short of the runway. It is in his memory that I humbly dedicate this