The Mark 37 fire control director was found on every USN warship in World War Two that carried the five-inch gun. L'Arsenal has included this extremely important USN fitting in their line of exceptionally well crafted super-detailed parts in 1:350 scale. This set AC 350-17 includes five Mk 37 radars. The resin and brass photo-etch assemblies also include the Mk 22 height-range radar found in the latter versions of the Mk 37.
The Mk 37 director was the culmination of the evolution of gun directors in the USN in World War Two. First begun in 1936,the Mk 37 was first tested in 1939. For the first time the range finding mechanism was called a computer. Capable of tracking aircraft flying up to 400 mph vertical or 250 mph vertical, it was capable of tracking almost any threat. The Mk 37 was given a flat top as it was designed to accommodate radar from the beginning. Starting in 1941 Mk 4 DP radars were fitted to the Mk 37 but this was followed by the combination Mk 12 DP radar and Mk 22 "Orange Peel" AA radar. L'Arsenal will be producing the Mk 37 director in combination with the MK12 & 22 radars in 1:350 scale. These photographs show a prototype sample with the resin Mk 37 body and photo-etched brass radars.