My first White
Ensign Models build, and
This is quite a recent kit, and comes with the familiar WEM
style packaging and contents. The kit itself is made up of resin, and photo-etch
parts, some of these being interchangeable, and a nicely presented set of
instructions with accompanying descriptions.
I decided to go for the full
camouflage version, one of two options, and ordered the WEM paints noted in the instructions. Note that the three
colour version is the same on both sides. I saw this in my RN camo reference
book by Alan Raven.
Because the hull started to
“hog” quite quickly, I decided to paint the sides quicker than I would usually
want so I could stick it down to the base and thus stabilize the shape. I used
pva to adhere the ship to glass having cut out and sprayed artist’s paper as a
sea base. Once the ship was in place, and to date, there has been now further
Colouring is quite lurid with
this scheme but I was able to subdue this with MIG pigment powders to
blend in the otherwise striking scheme. I used the usual rust colours together
with “city dirt”, and “copper rust” which always seems to work well.
All the parts fit well
together but for the main lattice mast base which needed packing out to
make the ensemble look more like the picture. The only other fault was the
lantern radar on the early version of the Milne which wasn’t included in the kit. Rob Kernaghan kindly
let me have one of his spares.
Finally, I have some parts
left over which I can’t find places for on the build but I’m sure I can
resolve this with the help of my knowledgeable friends.
The end result is one of my
better attempts at ship modeling and I’m pleased to have this kit as part
of my fleet, and it will be part of the Telford Atlantic dio this November. I
think that the WEM formula is one of completeness, and good research ending
with a pleasurable conclusion for the serious modeler.